Wednesday 15 December 2010

all the splendour of the job centre

Made a new claim at the job centre this morning, and things have changed. Took into a room with 5 other people and given a presentation on what 'signing on' entails, what's expected of me, and what i should expect of them. I am of course, expected to look for work, and record my lookings, attend the job centre every two weeks, attend another crappy place called 'future skills' every two weeks, and not take part in any fraudulent activities... like not declaring work, or volunteering.. or getting an education.

I, in turn, can expect them to make me feel like giblet in a chicken factory; pressure me to apply for work that should be behind me, or is completely alien to me, or work which i'd rather live in sedgley woods than do. Today, for instance, they have hooked me up with the following 'opportunities' - working in a warehouse, demonstrating kitchen implements, and a delivery driving job. I, of course, will follow them all up, because a) they'll stop my money if i don't, and b) almost any bloody job is better than signing on (except teaching, which sucks).

I will be carrying on looking for work which i am actually suited to, like illustration, design, murals, painting, drawing, art, or anything else like that, but you don't go to the job centre with 'lofty' ideas like these. In fact the job centre tries to steer you away from any job which could be considered fulfilling or enjoyable, it wants you start at the bottom, that way you have more chance of finding work (making tea and sweeping) and can sign off quicker.

There is something about the job centre which sucks the life and hope out of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment