Wednesday 2 February 2011

The Tale of the Suspicious Spaniard..

I had an unexpected email last night from a spanish labourer who'd saw my work through somebody else's suggestion, and was interested in buying some things. All very nice, of course my first thought was that it was some sort of spammer, trying to rob of my much needed money. But there was no links in the email, no attachments, it was pretty straight forward, even the email address was without suspicion. And anyway, if you were going to try to scam someone of money, you're best bet isn't to pick on some struggling out of work artist.

I was also a little bit afraid too, it is much easier it is much easier to remain 'comfortably numb', to accept that no-one likes your work, no-one's interested, and no-one's going to buy it, because when someone comes up to you, out of the blue, with an interest in purchasing it.. i feel startled, cornered, i want to LASH OUT! But instead, i got over myself and replied very nicely, with a link to my personal website. Numbness and fear of some sort of success doesn't last very long when the other option is to carry on painting daily in a greenhouse.. in winter.. alone.

who knows, he might not get back to me.

....

Cecily Brown - a great artist, and a very good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment